A Nice Meal for Fall and Winter!
Written by Rahmania Radjadi (www.rahmaniaradjadi.com)
Wonton soup is originally a Chinese culinary that becomes really popular in Japan. A simple dish that can be enjoyed as an appetizer or main dish, wonton soup is one of the favorite menus at a Chinese restaurant. Unfortunately, for us, as Muslim is impossible to buy wonton soup in a Chinese restaurant because the menu contains pork meat.
Now I want to share with you my simple recipe for wonton soup that is halal because you will make it your own at home. The recipe is easy to follow and the result is very delicious it will make you a great host if you are inviting some friends to visit home.
This recipe will make about 30 wontons.
Tools you will be needed
- food processor
- 2 large boneless chicken thighs
- 1 cup of peeled shrimps
- 3 large leeks or green onions
- 1 onion
- 10 cloves of garlic
- 5 cm size ginger for the broth
- 2 cm size ginger for the fillings
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- sesame oil
- soy sauce
- a pack wonton wrapper
Making the fillings instructions
- put the shrimp in the food processor, ground the shrimp, you still want some chunks textures on the shrimp, after that put the shrimp in a mixing bowl
- cut the chicken into cube size then put it in the food processor to make ground chicken and after the chicken have transformed to ground chicken add it to the mixing bowl
- grate 5 cloves of garlic into a garlic paste
- grate the 2 cm size ginger into a ginger paste
- add the grated garlic and ginger to the mixing bowl along with shrimp and chicken
- cut 2-3 of the leek’s green part and chopped the finely
- add the chopped leeks to the mixing bowl
- add about 2 tablespoons of sesame oil
- add enough salt and pepper and mix the bowl very well until all the shrimp, chicken, and leeks are mixed well
- add the cornstarch and mix it well again until all mixed
- wrap the fillings with the wonton wrapper one by one until all the fillings is finished wrapped
- your wonton is ready
Making the broth instructions
- get a large pot and fill about 8 cups of water then heat it over a high heat until the water is boiling
- turn the heat to medium-low
- peel and cut the onion into 2 half pieces, then add the onion into the boiling pot
- cut the 5 cm meters ginger and add it to the pot
- cut about 1 green part of the leeks the add it to the pot
- crushed and peeled 5 cloves of garlic and add it to the pot
- let the pot boil again on medium-low heat for minimum 45 minutes
- after 45 minutes remove the onion, ginger, leeks, and garlic from the broth
- turn the heat to low and the broth is ready
- add all the wontons into the pot and set the heat over medium-low heat
- let it boil for about 20 minutes
- after 20 minutes, add about 1 tablespoons of sesame oil, ½ tablespoon of soy sauce, enough salt, and pepper
- mix the pot slowly so that the all wontons are not wrecked.
- cut the leeks stems (you can cut it diagonally to make it looks beautiful in the pot)
- add all the cut leek stems to the pot and let it boil again for about 15-20 minutes
- your wonton soup is ready to serve!
It’s easy, right? This recipe is so delicious and my family loves it. You should try it at home too!